The Xbox and Bethesda 2022 Showcase Highlights
This year has seen a trend of studio acquisitions which has led to crossovers, multi-media debuts, and uncertainty about the future of many beloved franchises. I think we're just now starting to feel the effects of these merges in the roadmaps major games players have put out, and that continued with the Xbox and Bethesda 2022 Showcase.
I wrote about the Summer Game Fest and Playstation presentations, so you should've expected I'd be giving the rundown on Microsoft Gaming's presentations. Curious what they showed? The answer is a lot; just check out this official Xbox graphic of the games coming to their Game Pass in 2022/23. Here's the rundown on what Xbox presented.
Note: A lot of these are going to be console-specific launches, but can be played on PC if you have the Game Pass. Curious individuals should always check and see if a game from Xbox will be available on their PC Game Pass.
There are lots of sequels in the pipeline.
- Hollow Knight Silksong
- There isn't a specific release date, but it will be out within one year.
- Overwatch 2
- The controversial sequel announced it'll be free-to-play with early access beginning in October.
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Can someone please protect these kids already?
- Ark 2
- It has Vin Diesel. I will say no more.
- Diablo 4
- Blizzard has stated that Diablo 4 will not be monetized like Diablo Immortal is. They're also releasing a new Necromancer class.
All things edgy, horror, and macabre have dominated gaming for 2022/23. They dominated the PlayStation and Summer Fest shows, and the trend continued here.
- Redfall's gameplay debut went spectacularly, a big win for Arkane.
- Scorn, a twice-delayed horror game, will finally release in October.
- Cocoon, made by the creators of Limbo and Inside, doesn't seem scary at first-- but if you've played their games, you know what to expect.
- The Last Case of Benedict Fox combines demons and detectives. What could go wrong?
For vehicle and mech enthusiasts, Forza Horizon 5 is getting a Hot Wheels expansion and Forza Motorsport will hit Xbox/PC next spring. Microsoft Flight Simulator is introducing helicopters and has added the beloved Pelican aircraft from the Halo franchise. Lightyear Frontier is a new farming simulator but with cute mechs in the fold.
Fantastical fantasy titles and spicy sci-fis peeked their heads. Games shown include:
- Ravenlock (A fairytale-esque, cuter title.)
- Wo Long: Final Dynasty (Grittier historical fantasy based on China's Han Dynasty.)
- Ereban: Shadow Legacy (Stealth platformer)
- This game comes from Raw Fury, so I'm excited.
- Grounded is fully releasing, finally.
- Obsidian is making a detective-adventure game, Pentiment, based in Medieval times.
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn (Openworld adventure RPG)
- This game looks like it has a slice of everything in it.
- Minecraft Legends
- I'll say it: I'm intrigued.
There were a few oddball presentations. Most notable was Hideo Kojima's unveiling that he's working with Xbox to create a game. In a follow-up statement from his studio (Kojima Productions), they reassured angry PlayStation fanboys that they're still in good favor with Sony. Justin Roiland of Rick and Morty is creating a game, HIGH ON LIFE, out this year.
On the Bethesda front, Fallout 76 is getting an expansion exploring Pittsburgh (AKA The Pitt in the Falloutverse), and The Elder Scrolls Online is getting a big DLC for a previously unexplored land called High Isle, releasing June 21st. Starfield got pushed to 2023, but had a promising reveal that gave me big Fallout vibes.
Some new games are joining the Game Pass and PC Pass.
- Riot Games will be adding their titles to the Pass
- Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 5 Royal will all be making their way to Gamepass in the fall
- Naraka: Bladepoint will be available on Xbox Game Pass on June 23rd.
- Gunfire Reborn will join Game Pass in October.
Some more updates and game reveals include a new game called Ara: History Untold, an RTS similar to the Civilization series. Sea of Thieves is getting Season Seven, as well as a few Captain updates, next month. As Dusk Falls is a new story game about family secrets and mysteries.
Which games from the show are you most excited about? Redfall was definitely my favorite.